Monday, May 4, 2015

Adventure Girl: Anne Frank- The last of the Interview

I told y'all I'd be back. So this is the last of the interview. It's in the same format so enjoy.
What happened to the helpers Miep and Jan Geis after Otto died?
Meip Gies and her husband Jan. Meip lived the longest of really anyone involved in the story. She died in 2010, she was 100 years old. She wrote her own memoir to read called Anne Frank Remembered. It came out in the late 80’s. There was a definitive edition published in 2009, an extra after word that she added, which was incredible. She lived a very long time and continued to really carry on Anne’s legacy. She received letters from people all over the world. Her husband Jan was very involved in the Dutch resistance. Jan never really spoke about his experiences after the war. In fact Miep and her afterword to Anne Frank Remembered said that Jan would say ‘Oh, I’ll talk about that later.’ He actually tried before, sharing his story with Meip and her son. She never knew all the ways that he was involved in the resistance. He died in 1993. They did have a son after the war.
Now that all of the helpers and the members of the Annex have all died, do you think her legacy will ever go down?
I don’t know. I hope not. I think that she has become such an iconic figure. Certainly millions of people visit the Anne Frank house every day, and her story is really one that has endured to the end. The truth about history is that it’s important that we learn from it and make the world a better place. I hope not. I hope that it will continue and that people will continue the story.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this interview possible and I especially want to thank Ms. Beth Slepian. Without her, I would never have this interview. 

I'll be back. This may be my last adventure girl Anne Frank post, but there will be more as more adventures happen. Thanks everyone. 

Mariah

FYI this was part of a project so if I don't get an A, I still had fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment