Monday, April 27, 2015

Adventure Girl: Anne Frank- Before She Left

Hello, again. As promised I'm back again today. You know how I said I'd call someone from the Anne Frank Center and ask about an interview? Well it turns out that instead of calling, I emailed them.
And
      They
             Said
                   YES!
I'm so happy, I can't wait until I get another email from Mrs. Hannah Vaughn (She's the receptionist. She does very important work over at the Anne Frank Center).
As you know, or maybe don't know, the Anne Frank Center is in New York. It's all very high end and important. But anyway, there is a four hour time difference and so there may be a little complication over the time of said interview, but hopefully it will all work out fine. I'll get my interview, I can log it on my research log (which is also my essay for the project and lasts 15 REALLY LONG pages all about Anne) and I will keep tabs on the website for the Center because if I ever go to New York I will surely go see it. BTW if any of the readers wish to see it, you can go to www.annefrank.com
Make sure you enter .com instead of .org 'cuz then you'll get a totally different website that is still centered and informative about Anne.
Back to the reason for todays entry, I'll now be sharing with you portions of Anne's life before the Annex.
You see, Anne was born on June 12, 1929.  Anne was very small when Hitler came to power in 1933. Only 5 or 6. After Hitlers rise to power, Edith and Otto started looking for ways to escape Germany if any problems arose from this. They ended up moving to Amsterdam in the Netherlands a few years later. The Franks feel safe and free for a short time. The girls went to school and were treated like equals, Otto worked in his business (spices), and Edith worked at the house.
But peace doesn't last forever.
May 10, 1940, the Nazis invaded the Netherlands. At first everything seems okay. Then more and more rules are forced on the Jews. They had to turn in their bikes, they had to wear a Jewish Star of David, required to do shopping between 3 and 5 pm, frequent Jewish-owned barbershops and beauty parlors (hairstylists and the like), Had a curfew of 8pm to 6am, forbidden to go to theaters, movies plays, etc., forbidden to go swimming, play tennis, or go to any athletic field, they can't go "rowing" or boating for us modern folk, not allowed to take part in any physical activity in public ie running, jumping, dancing etc., attend Jewish schools and the like (I got that all from the book The Diary of a Young Girl sitting right next to me). It was a very harsh environment to be raised in. Pretty much the only thing you can do is ride the ferry and walk.
THAT'S IT.
I could seriously never do that. I love swimming to much.
All throughout these things happening to Anne and her family, they were still kind to each other. They got along relatively well and no one suspected that Anne's parents were readying for their family to go hide in the Secret Annex.
About a week (10 days) before the family was to be in the Annex, Margot got called to report to a labor camp. When Margot got the letter, she lied to Anne and told her it was for their father. When the truth finally came out, Anne was very upset that her sister didn't trust Anne enough to tell her who the letter really was for. Finally, after gathering their things together VERY quickly, the Frank family left for the Secret Annex.
I'll get more in depth about going to the Annex more tomorrow, but right now, I'm going to sign off.
Good night one and all. I will see you tomorrow. And may have an email back from Mrs. Vaughn!
See Ya!

Remember your history or you will be doomed to repeat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment