Monday, April 27, 2015

Adventure Girl: Anne Frank

Hello Everybody!
This is my first blog and it is going to be about Anne Frank right now. Everyone knows the story of the girl who hid and was taken away just a few months before liberation. But do you know the inside story? 
I just started this as a project for my world history class, but to me it has grown into something so much more. I had simple questions that could be answered just by reading her diary or watching a movie about her. 
But as I worked, I felt a deep connection form between me and my research. I grew more and more passionate about what I was working on and the questions I had grew into deeper-meaning-ask-her-herself questions. Before I go to far though, if you don't already know, some background about Anne and her family/Annex members. 
I'll start with their deaths. Morbid and depressing, but important nonetheless. 
Anne's mother, Edith Frank, died January 6, 1945 in Auschwitz, Poland. Her sister, Margot Frank, died March 1945 in Bergen-Belsen camp. Anne's roommate, Fritz Pfeffer, died December 1944 in Neuengamme camp. Hermann van Pels died November 1944 in Auschwitz camp. Petronella van Pels died April 1945 in transit (aka thrown in front of an oncoming train) to Theresienstadt camp. Peter van Pels died May 1945 in Mauthausen camp. Anne Frank died March 1945 in Bergen-Belsen camp. Her father, Otto Frank, was the sole survivor of the 8 Annex members. Sad really. He never saw his little girl grow up into an adult.
Anne was young when she died. Just barely 16 years old, like me. She kept a diary as a friend all those many days cooped up in the Secret Annex. That's what we know her by most today. 

I think that's enough for right now. I'm hoping to call someone from the Anne Frank Institute in New York and get an interview with one of the founders. That might not happen but wish me luck. 

I think my sign off for today will be remember your history or you will be doomed to repeat it. 
Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment